The Park at Alamo Heights
For several years, the Alamo Heights Rotary Club worked with a group of local organizations to make significant improvements in infrastructure and to construct a new Little League ball field in The Park at Alamo Heights located in the area bounded by Devine Road, Alamo Heights Boulevard, Ogden Lane and Viesca Street. Participants in the project included the City of Alamo Heights, the Alamo Heights Independent School District, Little League, Pony League, the Alamo Heights Rotary Club, and others. Improvements in facility construction and utilities were completed, including the construction of a brand new Little League ball field, dugouts, utility building, concession stand, and others. Our involvement in this project was designated as the Alamo Heights Rotary Club’s Centennial Project. The club contributed many man hours and over $50,000 to the project.
This project was the continuation of a long time relationship with the Little League which began in 1951 when the Alamo Heights Rotary Club, then only two years old, played a significant role in the establishment of the Alamo Heights Little League, coaching many of the teams, and the construction of their original playing fields.
On May 18, 2003, we all celebrated with a dedication ceremony for the new ball field including unveiling an 8’ x8’ sign identifying the field as the Alamo Heights Rotary Field. Following the ceremony, club members participated in a challenge softball game with the Little League parents. After everyone recuperated from the game, the day was completed with a picnic.
Subsequent to this major construction, in 2005 and 2006, the Alamo Heights Rotary Club also provided support for the construction of a large outdoor batting cage and overhead cover for some of the bleachers.
Ground Breaking Ceremony
Rotary Field sign on day of dedication